Friday, March 4, 2011

A post during which Emily tries to persuade you that she can in fact make delicious edible things...

CAVEAT: This will by NO means be turning into a food/recipe blog. I shall be leaving that to Rachael Ray.

So... I may have lamented over this in a past post or two, but when it comes to "cooking", I am not what you would call a "savant" by any stretch of the imagination.

Now, that's not to say that I can't follow a recipe. I can feed my family, but when it comes to gettin' fancy and improvising and such, I'm not so great. Interestingly enough, my 2 brothers each inherited the "awesome chef" genes and my sister and I... well...not so much. (Sorry Allison).

HOWEVER, there are 3 things that I apparently make VERY well which is evidenced by the fact that any one or more of them are what I am asked to bring any time there is a family gathering.

They are as follows...

1. Mashed potatoes
2. Pumpkin Pie
3. Mediterranean Salsa

Mediterranean Salsa is what I shall be focusing on for this post.

Usually since I make it for almost every family shin-dig, I don't often make it under any other circumstances. Though, the other day when I was at the grocery store, strolling past the red onions, I rather suddenly and impulsively decided I should make it for no particular reason at all.

So I did.

And as I sat the other night, shoveling chip-fulls of it into my mouth for dinner, I thought it just wouldn't be right not to share this gloriousness with you all.

SO, here it is... (savor this folks for recipes shall be few and far between 'round these parts)

MEDITERRANEAN SALSA

1 large green pepper
1 large red onion
6 roma tomatoes (or 4 large "regular" tomatoes)
1 pkg feta cheese
1 large handful FRESH basil (dried will do but fresh is ideal)
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

(Add each ingredient to a large bowl as you prepare them)

-Dice pepper, and onion (pretty small chunks).

-Cut tomatoes in half and scoop out their guts (if you don't your salsa will end up too watery) then dice tomatoes.

-Crumble feta cheese.

-Chop fresh basil.

(I tend to go overboard with both the feta and basil which is quite delicious)

-Pour a bit of olive oil over the top to coat.

-Stir to combine.

-Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with blue corn chips (my FAVORITE), yellow corn chips, kashi crackers, or whatever else sounds delicious (it's also VERY good over fresh spinach with grilled chicken as a salad... mmm...)

And there you have it! Give it a try and let me know what you think!!!

Happily,
Emmmily







1 comment:

Shannon said...

mmmmmm...you have now left me with a craving for your delish salsa...since the next family gathering isn't for awhile it's a good thing I have the recipe now to try on my own :)