Monday, September 27, 2010

New things...

I have made something. Well, somethings to be exact, though there is one that is not yet spoken for.

I don't want to say that I am headed in an entirely new direction with regard to my smithing, but rather, broadening my horizons.

As far as the "world of creating" is concerned, there are several things that I love. Many I do on a regular basis, others not so much, but I have noticed that the 2 areas that I feel hold much of my desire and energies are metalwork and photography.

Due to the nature of what I do (etsy shop/blog/etc) I have found a pretty great way to be able to do both, though the desire to take it a step further was always there. The incorporation of photography into jewelry has been a quest of mine for a while now. After much thinking about what the best way to accomplish it would be, I'm thrilled to announce that I can check "figure out how to incorporate photography into jewelry" off my "to do" list.

It all started with this piece I made for someone very near and dear to my heart. Sweet baby face...


I was holding my breath, hoping and praying it would turn out right. In hindsight, experimentation on something so meaningful was probably not the best of ideas, but, after the it came out just how I had hoped it would, I decided that I am officially in love with this new way of creating.

This is the second photo piece I created and I'd like to offer it to you...


This necklace features an original flower and bumblebee photograph with a quote by Georgia O'Keefe stamped on the back. In a sea of cheesy "flowery" flower quotes, I was thrilled to have found this one. :)

WARNING: Drastic change in subject...

Though it's been in the works for several weeks now, it has been rather last-minutely decided (would I have it any other way?!) that tomorrow will be the day that I get my new laptop!

Though I am DELIRIOUSLY excited, it's almost a bit of a bittersweet thought.

Bitter because the laptop I am currently using was my very first ever Mac, and I think a little part of me shall miss it a bit (though the next one and every other computer I will ever buy will most definitely be of the Apple persuasion and I'm quite sure it will take me 12.7 seconds flat to get over any feelings of loss over the original computer).

Sweet because my "old" laptop is going to my baby brother who actually PAID me for it! Like FOR REAL! REAL money that he earned at his very own job! He's all grown up now. Officially. Well... probably not actually all the way grown up because he still wears his hair "faux-hawk" style and still has my mom make him grilled cheese sandwiches... though I can't say I wouldn't do the same when it comes to mom's grilled cheese...

Bitter because the nearest Apple store to where I live is almost 2 hours away thus I have to make a trip there and back, leaving my computer for a few days for them to transfer everything over, to then go there and back to pick them up. Oy.

Sweet because I get to enjoy an impromptu road trip. Aw yeea.

ANYWHO... I really could have summed up all of the above by saying:

"Getting a new computer. Gonna be computerless till Thursday evening. That is all."

...but that isn't very interesting now is it???

I said all that to say that I am showing this piece to you now but I plan on listing it in my shop upon the return of technology to my home sometime Thursday evening.

Until then, I would like to leave you with this question...

What things that you are passionate about have you found a way to combine???

Happily,
Emily


4 comments:

susie said...

Love the combination of pictures and silver - beautiful.

I'm getting ready to take my love of doodling and metalsmithing and start applying some prisma colored pencils and copper, should be fun:)

EmeliaRo said...

FUNNN!!!

ZYA said...

I absolutely love artsy jewelry! And I have to say I love your ring you are wearing on the face page of your blog. I'll definitely have to visit your etsy site. Keep it up!

Inalee said...

The baby face is beautiful and the mounting exquisite. You truly have a gift. Keep the beautiful work. Love you.