Monday, March 1, 2010

Contemplation. Decision. Application. Anticipation...

For any of you who live around these parts, or have heard me regale the tales of a couple of "jewelry shows gone bad", you know that this part of the country just isn't exactly what I would call "responsive" to the handmade arts, EXCEPT, over Labor Day weekend, when we all slather on the sunscreen and break out the strollers to head down to the riverfront for "Artsplash".
I have been going to Artsplash for several years now and year after year I am in awe of the pool of talent that is on display. From ceramics, to photography, to acrylic paintings, to jewelry...
In fact, it was at Artsplash over Labor Day weekend 2003 that I decided that silver smithing was the avenue down which I would take my creative interests.
I had first discovered my love of metal and stone while in High School, but it wasn't long after graduation that I talked myself out of it, all but convincing myself that after I was out of school, all the tools and means for me to pursue my love would be out of my reach.
I started my "life"
I pursued another love
got married
moved across the country
had a baby
moved back home
went to artsplash...
...and then, an "old flame" was ignited...
I distinctly remember walking up to one of the booths, behind it was a young woman, not much older than me at the time.
I looked at her, looked over her work, and looked at her again, and I was in awe.
Her work was so beautiful.
It was fun.
It was quirky.
It was familiar.
I remember grabbing Mr. G's arm as he was pushing the stroller. I leaned over (as to be careful the artisan wouldn't hear) and I said to him...
"You know, if I had all the right tools, I think I could do this!"
Since he knows me better than anyone else on the planet, his initial response, though not exactly what I wanted to hear, was exactly what I needed to hear...
"You think so? That would be really great! But, why don't you just think about it for a while and if you're still interested in a few months from now, we'll talk about it again".
Fair enough.
The more time that went by, the more excited I became with the prospect of becoming a metal smith, and needless to say, the rest is history.
I said all this to say, ever since I started metal smithing, it has been a "dream" of mine (I hate to over fantasize it but calling it a "goal" sounded a little too starchy) to have my very own booth at Artsplash.
I let several years go by, easily talking myself out of going for it because "I wasn't good enough yet" and "they probably wouldn't accept me anyway" or "I'm just too busy".
Well, this is the year folks.
No more excuses.
I'm not sure if I'm good enough.
I'm not sure if they will accept me.
And I'm not sure I won't be busy...
...but I sent my application today.
3 individual pics of items representative of my work and one booth shot...
And now...
...I wait.
Happily,
Emily

13 comments:

Sunny Rising Leather said...

They would be fools to pass on your unique genius approach to metal and stones. FOOLS!!! :)

xoxoxo,
Allison

the_storie_goes_on said...

no worries miss emily.. you got this.. your amazing...

littlecherryhill said...

Oh how exciting for you!! Your work is most definitely good enough for this!! Best wishes to you! Hope you get in!

Alicia Maher said...

Good luck! Not that I think you need it... Artsplash has been waiting for you...

susie said...

You are so in :)

UmberDove said...

uhm, HELLO APPLICATION PHOTOS!

Those are gorgeous! And your work is SO strong, clean and professional. Your vision comes through.

Way to go for applying! I know the kind of courage that takes!

Michele said...

I wish that I could vote for you!

You'd be in so fast.

Erin said...

This is a great idea! And I think you're right - people around here aren't big art buyers...except for that one weekend when the city gives us "permission" to spend extravagantly on fine art...and festival foods :)
You definitely have the talent - I hope they put your booth next to my favorite photographer!

tattooedblogger said...

Way to go for it...I am sure your a shoe in...everything is so lovely

reconstructing sarah said...

em-
i believe you have nothing to worry about...you are so unbelievably gifed at what you do. your work is stunning and set apart from the rest...i cannot wait to see how you do :)

ps. i still really want one of those quote rings!!!!!!! i mean, WHOA!!!

elliott said...

go miss em, go!!...
courage my dear...
the work is good. the work is splendid...
xxoo

Two Bees said...

Wonderful...

tattooedblogger said...

I stll really want a quote ring too:)