Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Conversations with a 3 year old...


I cannot express how fun it is for me to watch the gears crank inside Sophie's sweet little head (or"big head" rather... trying to find a hat to fit that kid is like PULLIN TEETH I tell ya...).

Once you're "grown", you really take for granted the fact that everything you know had to be learned and/or figured out at one time or another. So much knowledge is crammed in our brains when we're so young, and not just the basics like shapes and numbers, but more interesting things like sarcasm, and wit, and comedic timing.

Here are a couple of our most recent chats...

[After scolding the dog for peeing in the kitchen AGAIN, Sophie had this to say...]

"Mommy, when Rex pees in da kitchen it is SOOO YUCKY. He should pee outside in da snow but I don't pee in da snow. Dat would be yucky."

[While watching the movie "Monster's vs. Aliens", the female character gets hit by a meteor early on in the movie. After getting hit, she staggers away from the crater and says "I feel like I've been hit by a meteor" to which Sophie replies very dryly, in a monotone voice, without missing a beat...]

"cuz you did."

[And finally, the other day, Sophie and I were choosing an outfit for her to wear. She wanted a dress (sleeveless of course). I told her that would be fine but that she would have to wear a sweater with it. I picked one out and as soon as she saw it, she wrinkled her nose and said, very matter-of-factly...]

"I can't wear dat one cuz I'n allergic to it."

I'm glad I'm keeping track of all this :)

Happily,
Emily





5 comments:

the_storie_goes_on said...

i think i was allergic to a few things i had to wear when i was a kid too.. haha.. why didnt i think of that then?!?! soooo cute!!

EmeliaRo said...

I was (and I'm pretty sure I still am) allergic to stirrup pants.

Eew.

MOM said...

But you looked so cute in them...

EmeliaRo said...

ya mom, I don't think "cute" is necessarily the word for it... I think I should find that picture of me from I think like 5th or 6th grade... "orange stirrup pants, orange and hot pink striped t-shirt, short CURLY perm, braces, acne, and ENORMOUS nose" shot and post it for all to see.

Inalee said...

I would like to see that picture. I can't imagine you with short curly hair. Sophie right now is discovering cognitive reasoning. Firguring things out. Bless her little heart. Love to all.