Wednesday, October 14, 2009

There's a first time for everything...

So it turns out that one of the benefits of having children that talk their grandparents into buying some little chicks from the local farm supply/hardware store (though I have a sneaking suspicion that they were in the market for some of the fuzzy little cheepers already) is that as soon as those chickies reach egg-layin' maturity, every time they see you (the in-laws, not the chickens), they'll have a carton full of tiny, gorgeous, little brown speckled eggs just for you.


That day came for the first time just yesterday.


These little gals (and one little guy) are
Rhode Island Reds and looked like this when they first arrived...

...and it didn't take long for them to grow.
(This pic was actually taken several weeks ago so I can only imagine how big they are now)

Up until yesterday afternoon, believe it or not, I had never ever tasted honest to goodness farm-fresh eggs before. I know right? So "un-midwestern-girl" of me.

Sophie and I returned home from seeing Bubble Grandma, egg carton in hand, and we scrambled ourselves up some lunch.

OH so good.

Happily,
Emily

1 comment:

Desiree Fawn said...

Oooh, I have a dream to have chickens some day ^_^