Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sweeter than honey from the honeycomb...

Well, as I alluded to towards the end of this post, I have a piece that I have been working on for quite some time and was VERY anxious to complete, yet equally concerned about not rushing the process.

Well, it's officially finished and I think I can say with much confidence that this is my most ambitious undertaking to date, as well as the piece of which I am most proud.

For quite some time I have been very interested in the idea of the creating of familiar objects out of sterling (ie: my cassette tape necklace) and I thought what better "object" to try to create than a busy little bumblebee.

There is really quite a bit to them with their antennae, and their jointed legs, and their veiny little wings. I had several other critters sketched out - giraffe, lamb, lady bug - but ultimately, I was most drawn to this guy.

At first I had intended to create a honey-hued pendant hanging at the front with a smaller version of the bee slightly off-set, but when the bee turned out a little larger than originally planned, I knew he'd have to take center stage with the piece of matte amber playing second fiddle.

I have also been missing wire-wrap-linking beads so I knew that was definitely something I wanted to incorporate with the lovely green "honey jade" beads I had been hanging on to for just the perfect occasion.

He sits perfectly on the neckline, and though not too heavy, he is weighty, hefty, and CERTAINLY worth his weight in golden honey.

All components, save for the husky lobster clasp, have been fabricated completely by hand.

Every wire wrapped tight.
Every loop soldered shut.
Heirloom quality.

Not only did I set out with this project to try to push my limits and see if I could indeed create something that I didn't know I was capable of, I also wanted to have a finished piece that felt like something I would have pulled out of my grandmother's jewelry box. Something that her grandmother would have worn and passed on to her.

I can't help but feel I have succeeded.


(click on the photos to enlarge)

I know I have been CRAZY tardy in getting new things listed in my shop but I do have a few things I'd like to stick on the shelves sometime this coming week.

I wish you all a happy Labor Day weekend! May it be fairly "laborless" and filled with lemonade, art in a park, fun with family, and anything else that sounds appealing and entirely unrelated to anything that even SMELLS like work :)

Happily,
Emily

11 comments:

reconstructing sarah said...

i think my jaw dropped when i saw the honey bee necklace! truly impeccable design and craftmanship! such detail...WOW. bravo and happiest of long weekends :)

Michele said...

That's fantastic!

I've often considered getting a tattoo of a bumblebee to remind me to stay in the present ("bee" here now).

susie said...

We've had bees on the mind around here. I can almost hear your's buzzing. Amazing work. There is such joy to be found in a job well done. Enjoy your holiday weekend.

Lisa said...

Aww....he's so cute! I love the eyes and his furry little back. I hope you continue with this type of work and make the other animals. I'm an avid (obsessive) knitter, and I love the idea of a lamb. :) Lol, this post has me thinking of all sorts of creatures that would look cute in silver.

Marina H said...

that is absolutely breathtaking. the detail and the color of that stone is to die for. definitely be proud of yourself, you deserve all the praise you can get!! :) happy weekend to you too!

Willow Branch said...

That is just an amazing piece. I made a bumble bee pendant for my Grandma last Christmas but it was nothing like this..not even close. This is breathtaking.

Pam

UmberDove said...

I saw the photos in my google reader even before I clicked over to your blog, and I have to say, I'm in total awe. I love it. The details feel so educated, the size feels so important, the craftsmanship feels so finished (and that is something I think a great many silversmiths lack - and that I admire in the work of yours I've seen).

You created something FABULOUS. I'm putting my personal stamp of approval right on it. And I can't wait to see how this influences the work to come...

Rachael said...

Amazing, Em. Simply amazing. I can't wait to see where this takes you. :)

-fleurdelis816

Sunnydaze said...

There are simply no words to describe how lovely this necklace truly is. Simply stunning, amazing, gorgeous!

The Noisy Plume: said...

...I'm pretty doggone proud of you Em.
Lovelove,
J

Vita said...

Holy COW Emily, that is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!
*GAWK!!*