Friday, September 25, 2009

I have officially arrived at the age I will most likely stay for the rest of my life...

Well folks, that's right. Yesterday I turned the big 2-9. Truthfully I am really not too weirded out about being just a year away from 30, however, maybe check back with me in about 11 months from now to see if I feel any different. :)

If you know me at all, you know that birthdays are a HUGE thing for me. I LOOOOVE them. Always have, always will. I would suppose I can attribute that to my mom who always made sure (and still makes sure to this day) to make our birthdays a REALLY big deal. Thankfully, though he doesn't quite share my same passion when it comes to birthdays in general, Gabe has definitely done a GREAT job of making sure that he really goes all out on my day :)

Here is a rundown of the day on which I celebrated the fact that God saw fit for me to exist...

1. Woke up to Gabe offering to take the kiddos to school so I could sleep in for a bit. (I know ladies, let's hear a collective "awwww") :) Before he left though, he pulled a bag out from under the bed containing season 5 of The Office on dvd and a Starbucks gift card. My man KNOWS me. :)

2. Kept my phone close in anticipation of the phone call I would be getting from my mother singing Happy Birthday to me, just as I have at the same time each and every year on my birthday. 11:47am - the time I was born.
My phone rang right after this pic was taken.

3. Got phone call from my dad. Hassled him that he was about 10 minutes late (he called at 11:57) to which he replied, "ya, that's mom's thing". :)

4. Got ready to head out for the day and just before stepping out the door, I was greeted by a kind gentleman from one of our local purveyors of loverly flora with a HUGE bouquet full of flowers and other lovely things. All my favorite colors together in one frosted glass vase, and sent with love from one of the most amazing cousins (and her family) a girl could ask for.

5. Went out to lunch with my Mamma and Miss Sophie at the joint of my choosing so sushi it was! Yummm.

6. Headed off for a birthday haircut and brow waxing (MUCH needed). I wasn't exactly sure how much I was gonna get hacked off when I got there but by the time all was said and done, my locks are now approximately 6in. shorter than they were before. It feels quite freeing :)
7. Went home to gather some clothes and jammies and then dropped them off at my parent's house since the little women were going to be spending the night at Grandma and Grandpa's house. Fun for everyone! While dropping off the clothes, mom gave me the second part of my gift (the first part was a GORGEOUS bedding set she got for me a month or so ago while we were out shopping - pics to come). Second part of the gift: Season 4 of The Office, a tiny hair trimmer (to be used between waxings for those pesky little strays), and some dark chocolate truffles. My Mamma KNOWS me. :)

8. Went back home to pick up Gabe so we could go out to dinner.

9. Was QUITE surprised when we got to the restaurant and I realized that Gabe had invited some of our friends to join us without my knowing it! Not everyone was able to make it but we had a WONDERFUL time with those who were able to come and it was DEFINITELY a "thought that counts" moment. Our dinner concluded with the wait staff singing "happy birthday" to me as I got to blow out a candle stuck into a piece of pumpkin cheesecake. YUM.

10. Hung out with one of my VERY dear friend as well as Gabe, my parents, and kiddos for a bit before heading home for the night.

It was a GOOD day and the celebration continues as I sit here at my local Starbucks (BY MYSELF NO LESS) sipping a pumpkin spice latte and surfing the web. Tonight: homemade chicken noodle soup at mom's house.

Life is good and I am blessed beyond measure.

VERY Happily,
Emily

10 comments:

susie said...

Sounds like just about a darn near perfect day. Here's wishing you the most wonderful 29 a person ever had filled with good health, good friends, and continued happiness.
P.S. Cute hair!

elliott said...

Happy Birthday Em!!!..I should remember this!..i'm preparing for my Hattie FInn's 6th BIrthday tomorrow (26th)..a pedicure party!..
i've been so out of the loop--TOO busy--i will try and update my blog this wknd. but, have agreed to production design the church Christmas production (never done a play)..got a new puppy, work, kid's in full day of school etc. etc....).
Still haven't made our pumpkin latte "date"
...SO thrilled to hear you were celebrated with such thoughtfulness and joy!!! Blessings to you my dear one!!

Rachael said...

1) I LOVE the new hair! Love it. Love. Have I told you I love it?? :)

2) Reading this was so wonderful. Birthdays are a HUGE deal to me too and I'm so glad your's was so special!

3) I hope the next year (and all the years to come) for you are filled with all things lovely! You deserve it.

XO
Rachael (fleurdelis816)

reconstructing sarah said...

i'm glad you had such a fantastic day :)
Happiest Birthday to YOU. i am also a september baby...i turn the big 25 tomorrow! isn't it lovely to celebrate with all the pumpkin flavored goodness?

Desiree Fawn said...

My partner just turned 29 too and I think he's a little scared about next year -- I think it's fab ;) Although I guess I would since I'm the younger one, ha!

the_storie_goes_on said...

miss EMILY!!! I absolutely love your hair!! ahhhh though your always beautiful...

Alicia said...

Happy belated birthday, Emily! Your hair IS gorgeous! Lovely look on you. I know so many wonderful people born on Sept. 25th, it's quite amazing. I hope you have a lovely 29th year. I am going to be 30 in a few weeks and I couldn't be more excited about it. I've heard that 30 is a good age to be. 29 is, too. :-)
Many happy birthday wishes!
Alicia
p.s. When did our hometown get a sushi place?!? I am all astonishment!

UmberDove said...

Hooray! Happy Birthday!!

On to business:
1. 29 ain't so bad (says the lady halfway through her year) and I'm already feeling good about what 30 has to offer (so don't count it out yet!)
2. You are pinchably cute in your new 'do
3. Yeah, I just needed to say HAPPY DAY again!

ShayJay said...

Happy happy birthday (albeit a little late)! Love the haircut, and it sounds like you had a wonderful day-cheers to good family and friends. :)

Sunny Rising Leather said...

Happy Birthday!!!!
xo,
Allison (Sunny)