Thursday, August 20, 2009

Happy Accident...

Ok, so I've kept you in suspense long enough... This is the piece I alluded to the other day that I had a bit of trouble with...

Just in case some of you happen to be a bit younger than myself, never knowing life without cell phones and DVD's, this necklace features a tiny replica of a "cassette tape". These things were used to play and record music before the birth of the ipod, or even the Compact Disc for that matter.

It just hit me the other day that my children will most likely never even know what a cassette tape is. It's sad really... however, there's no where on a CD where you can pull and end up with a miles worth of tape.

One of the first cassette tapes I remember listening to was, when my brother Chris and I were little, and we had a "Whinnie the Pooh" tape that we played over and over in our little brown Fisher Price tape recorder.

Another cassette tape that sticks out in my head is one I got when I was in middle school. We had a fundraiser where we sold magazine subscriptions and if you sold so many, you got to get out of class for the afternoon to attend a concert in the auditorium by some no-name band that was just starting out and was touring the midwest, handing out free demo tapes to anyone who wanted one. I remember sitting in that "concert" and snickering with my friends about things like "oh man, this song is goofy" and "LOOK at his HAIR! WHAT the HECK was he thinking?!??" Looking back, I now wished I had that cassette tape signed and put is somewhere where I'd actually be able to find it since that band was the "Backstreet Boys".

Baby bye bye byyye,
(Oh crap, that was an N'SYNC song wasn't it!?? Whatever. All those boy bands sound alike.)
Emily



6 comments:

susie said...

Oh man,have I made some mix tapes in my life - love it!

Lisa said...

lol! I love it too! You're right, our children aren't going to know what a cassette tape is....

RosyRevolver said...

This is great!! I had a cassette tape growing up with nothing but "Wind Beneath my Wings" and "She Drives Me Crazy" on it . . . . I don't know . . . because I'm strange.

the_storie_goes_on said...

i love this piece.its so awesome..can we really call cassettes retro yet??. im not to old or to young.. so i know of cassette tapes (i still own plenty) and i remember when cd's were "cool"... now no one wants them really. lol..

Tyson Diddley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tyson Diddley said...

Here is a story of a kid that gave up an ipod for a walkman to see what listening to music used to be like:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8117619.stm