Monday, January 12, 2009

Back in the saddle again...

Ok, I don't know what my deal has been but for some reason, I had it in my mind that my first blog back from "Christmas Break" was gonna have to be something super spectacular and fantabulous, and since nothing particularly fantabulous has been going on, I was stalling. I decided enough was enough and I'm just gonna dive back in. Here are some random smatterings that have been my life over the last few weeks...

Christmas was FABULOUS but once again, it came and went far too quickly. I really feel for the first time this year though, I was able to completely relate to something I remember my mom talking about that previously, I never quite understood. Sitting there, watching the joy on my kids' faces as they enjoyed Christmas was truly spectacular and would have been gift enough had I received nothing else. That being said, I DID receive something else (several "something elses" but one in particular bears mentioning).

An abbreviated version of a conversation between my husband (Gabe) and some of the guys he works with...

Guys: "So, what are you gonna be gettin' the old lady for Christmas?" (Yes, for some reason, when guys chat with each other, they feel the need to refer to their wives as "my old lady"... Gabe insists he doesn't refer to me that way but I'm not so sure I believe him...)

Gabe: "Well, I was kinda thinking I might get her a drill press."

Guys: "WHAT?!?? WHOA man! You are SOOOO gonna be in the dog house!!!"

Gabe: "No, actually I won't, since she was the one that told me that's what she wanted."

Guys: (pause) "Can we go shopping with you???"

Long story short, I got a DRILL PRESS FOR CHRISTMAS!!!! YAAAAY! It's almost as good as the time I got a dremmel for Valentine's day - and I'm NOT even being sarcastic!

Our time since Christmas has been spent dealing with blizzards and pinkeye and just about everything in between, including the untimely death of my cell phone over New Year's eve... you know, the phone that had housed the phone numbers of everyone on the entire planet I would ever need to get a hold of, tons of pics of my kids, notes I had left for myself, birthdays, appointments, reminders, etc - ALL GONE. My knees actually buckled a bit when I got the official news from the girl at the Verizon store and I think there were a few people who were seriously concerned I may start throwing things. One clerk turned to the girl who was helping me and quietly reminded her to make sure the phone wasn't wet. I shot her a look that "encouraged" her to go back to whatever it was that she had been doing and for the rest of the day all I could say was "Oh MAN!" over and over as I was continually reminded of things that had been in my phone and were now gone forever. All that being said, I ended up with a new phone and as Verizon does not yet carry the iPhone, getting a blackberry was my next logical choice. I have officially been referred to as "hoity-toity" after sending "someone" an email from my phone (hehehe) and I am like, totally ok with that because the fact that I can go on Facebook from my phone and send an email from the grocery store makes up for it entirely. :)

Life is good and I wouldn't trade mine for the world :)

I'm just gonna finish this post out with some photos from the last few weeks...

Tryin' out the new sleds...

Getting ready to sing some carols on Christmas Eve...

New elephant towel...

imPRESSive...

2008 Family Photo...

Me-n-my hoity-toity new piece of gadgetry...

Waitin' to open presents on Christmas morning in their new Christmas eve jammies...2009 here we come!...
Happily,
Emily

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man...about the phone. Glad your back to the blogging world
Cara

elliott carew said...

Welcome back my dear, missed you! nice drill press!!
i so understand about the phone...i had misplaced mine (fancy iphone) for about 1hr. (while i was at an evening street fair in a busy downtown area -just me and the 2 kids and i didn't tell them about the phone issue -- i just started dragging them at break neck speed through the festive shops and hyper ventilating thinking the whole time it was GONE!..)i did find it in my car under some papers..i actually wept!..there might be a support group i should attend!!

The Noisy Plume: said...

Ok.
Did you put the drill press together all on your own??? When my original D.P. broke down over the summertime I had to schlep a new one home and set the silly thing up and I remember thinking it was the most annoying task in the world.

So did ya?

About the Blackberry....you're my favorite hoity toit. And you know it.
XO

Vita said...

What a great looking family you've got there !! :)
Saweeet phone, heheh!