Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Snowin's...

My 4 year old niece always pluralizes everything... if you're gonna dance, it's "dancin's", mini golf, "golfin's" and one of my favorites, "sewin's" (naturally the name for the act of playing with those big cards with pictures and corresponding holes and you use big shoelaces to sew with). Not sure if snowing actually qualifies to be pluralized but if it's good enough for my niece, it's good enough for me. :)

And snow it has... the first real whopper of the year, complete with a nice thick sheet of frozen rain underneath and a 2 hour late start for school yesterday morning. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it all. I really think I would miss snow if I lived somewhere where we never got any, but I'm also not crazy about the prospect of dealing with the white stuff till April. Oh well - time to break out the snow boots and crank the space heaters up full blast.


On a slightly more frustrating note, the last of my decent soldering torch tips totally crapped out on me yesterday, RIGHT in the middle of my already more hectic work day (the in-laws weren't able to make it in to watch the kiddos due to the terrible road conditions so it was a "work as I got the chance" day) prompting an emergency (and I'm sure slightly panicked sounding) call to my local welding supply store.

Me: (a little frantic) "Um ya, I'm gonna need to order some replacement tips for my oxygen/acetylene setup."

Clerk: "ok, what type of set up is it?"

Me: "Smith. I think it's the smallest set you offer"

Clerk: "Oh ya. What tips do you need?"

Me: "#4 and #5"

Clerk: "Ok, those are like about 3 to 4 inches long right?"

Me: "Um NO... more like ONE inch... it's the SMALLEST set you offer - for SOLDERING, NOT welding..."

Clerk: "Oh... um... lemme check..."

Me: (in my head - AW CRAP!)

Clerk: "Ma'am?"

Me: (in my head again - WHAT the HECK is up with this MA'AM business??? Since when did "Miss" turn into "MA'AM"???)

Me: "Yes?"

Clerk: "Ya, I can order those"

Me: "...ok... so can I do that now over the phone???"

Clerk: "ya."

Me: "alright... then would you please order them?"

Clerk: "Yep. Name and number?"

Me: (give him my info) "Just out of curiosity, how long will it take for them to come in?"

Clerk: "I'd guess about 3 to 4 days, give or take"

Me: (GIVE or TAKE???) "Um, ok, thanks."

-click-

They WILL arrive before next Tuesday, they WILL arrive before next Tuesday...

...and to end on a happy note - these are the pieces I managed to finish before the solder tips' demise...

An oxidized agate necklace...
Druzy ring set...
Moukaite necklace...Happily,
Emily

3 comments:

Desiree Fawn said...

I love that ring very much miss ^_^

EmeliaRo said...

Thank ya darlin'! Green is my FAVORITE!!! And the druzyness? - swoon.

Vita said...

eeek! Hurry up Mr. Hardware Store man!! ;)

Hope it all works out Emily, as I'm sure it will! ;)
Glad I was able to grab up that lovely, beautiful Moukaite necklace :) Dreamy!

Oh and gotta love kids and what they say, hey! :)
What a cute doggie!