Monday, November 3, 2008

When you give a boy a costume...

Growing up, my family didn't really celebrate Halloween per say, but every year, our church would have a party where kids could dress up in happy costumes (no goblins and such), play games, eat hot dogs, and get tons of candy. We went as kids, and now, its so fun to get my kids dressed up and have their turn to party! This year, the party was held the Wed prior to Halloween and, since we don't really get into the "trick-or-treating" thing, and my brother Chris had his little girl Halloween night, my mom decided to have a little party at her house to give "the cousins" (the collective term my niece uses to refer to herself and my girls) a chance to dress up again, make mini pizzas, watch the new Tinkerbell movie, and of course, get more candy. Here are the lovely ladies in their respective costumes...
Lillie: "Princess"
Isabel: "Lion"
Tennaiah: "Butterfly fairy princess"
Sophie: "Skunk" or "Little stinker" as she is lovingly referred to at times...





Now, all that said, if you know anything about my family, you'd know that we love each other to pieces, but tend to give each other a hard time any chance we get. Now, for this next picture to make sense, I'll give you a bit of a back story... There are 4 of us kids: Me (the oldest), my brother Chris (2 years younger than me), and then my Brother Matt and Sister Allison (twins, 2 years younger than Chris). I'd say that of our 2 parents, mom is the one that has a measure of creativity she has a lovely alto singing voice and you should see some of the cakes she's made and decorated in the past - gorgeous and DELICIOUS. Dad on the other hand, not so much. Even though we didn't come from an overly "artsy" family, all 4 of us have our areas of artistic strengths and talents - I make jewelry and I love to draw and sing. Chris is the page designer and main graphic artist for our local news paper, and has a spectacular eye for detail and design, as well as a proficient musician, playing the drums and the bass. Matt is a painter and is venturing out into actually getting paid for the large scale religious art he creates, as well as an accomplished drummer. And Allison? Well, Allison is a dancer. Now, I know as soon as any of my family members read this (namely Chris and Matthew), they are automatically going to assume that I am making fun of her in some way, or trying to belittle her talents when I most certainly am not. She is extremely talented, especially in the area of tap-dancing, and can smile with the best of them. She can hardly keep her feet from tapping on a daily basis and, though she's not doing anything with it these days, she should be. She still has all her dance outfits and tap shoes from back-in-the-day, and often takes them out to reminisce over them.
Having explained the back-story, I jump forward in time to This past Friday night. All the little girls were dressed up and Chris and I decided that we needed some costumes for ourselves. I donned an orange wind-breaker and an old telephone and instantly became my grandmother repeating her signature telephone greeting "Hallooo-Hallooo! (you'd have to actually hear it, and know my grandma for that to really make much sense). Chris found the hat from an old tiger costume from our childhood and was... a tiger. Matt informed me that he was going to need help getting ready before Allison arrived, which instantly intrigued me. I asked "What are you dressing up as?" and he just smiled and said "Allison". I went upstairs to help him get dressed and as you can imagine, I was laughing so hard I was crying by the time he was ready. I tried to compose myself but all it took was to hear him tapping down the stairs to re-ignite the hilarity. The following are a few shots of the resulting shenanigans - you may want to avert your eyes...


Still laughin' and cryin' about it...
Emily

4 comments:

Becky said...

How fetching is he!! And I am loving the 'hey look I'm a tiger.' Lol!!

And I just adore the sweet faces of the girls, especially the 'stinker'.

The Noisy Plume: said...

Holy cow.

If I were giving out prizes, first place would go to the LITTLESKUNKBIGSTINK.

Second place to Tinkerbell of course:)

Miss chatting with you girl. Let us shoot for tomorrow night since I've got an impromptu dinner party happening here tonight AGAIN. I feel like I've been feeding half the world, but it's been a lot of fun!

XO

THE ONE AND ONLY said...

WOW... How incredibly uhm.... nope no words come to mind.. The kids cute! The adults well it leaves alot open for interpretation.

Cute story!!

Anonymous said...

Actually, Grandma Mable was incredibly creative--drawing, fashion illustration, photography, sewing, all forms of home economics. The creatvie bug might have skipped your dad, but it runs strong on the Delzell side. :) Cynthia