Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thankful...

I probably won't be blogging tomorrow since it will only be a matter of time before the tryptophan (you know, the stuff in turkey that makes you sleepy... NO, I am not hooked on perscription meds) kicks in, and I'm sure I won't be getting a whole lot of anything done besides hanging out with family and reflecting on what I am thankful for, which is necessary from time to time.
We are all headed over to my parents house tomorrow for Thanksgiving dinner and I have been assigned to mashed potato duty (probably because I make the BEST mashed potatoes you've EVER had in your ENTIRE life), as well as making the pumpkin pies, which is what I'm doing right now...The real pies are in the oven but this is the little pan full of the extra "batter" that wouldn't fit into the pie crusts. I remember my mom making pumpkin pies when we were little and we had these little glass custard dishes she's pour the extra batter into. The pie itself was always off limits to be used for whatever special occasion it was baked for but it was always a mad dash to the kitchen to see who could get the most bites of the tiny extra "pie". Well, I'm making 4 pies so my extras really probably could have filled a 5th crust, which I do not have, so the smallest casserole dish will have to suffice. I was wondering, is there such a color as "unbaked pumpkin pie batter"? If so, it's one of my favorites.

As far as being thankful is concerned, I feel like I don't even know where to start...

- I am so very thankful for God and the ability to know Him. I shutter to think of where I would be or what my life would be like without Him.

- Family of course. I am so thankful that God has blessed me with the people that surround me in my life - especially the one I'm married to, the ones I carried around for 9 months and birthed, the ones who raised me, and the ones I grew up with. No one is perfect but they are all perfect for me.

- Friends - I won't name names for fear of leaving someone out but, I will say that I am continually blown away by God's goodness in this area of my life. Some friends are just that - friends - people who you enjoy, who you talk with and share with and who's company you enjoy, whether it be in person or from afar... yet others are much more, so much so that the word "friend" does not seem to do your relationship justice. I am thankful for ALL my friends but there is a separate and special welling of my heart (and eyes at times) when I think of those with whom my life is so connected.

- Art and the creativity... I know people are made different, and perhaps if I were made to be left-brained and enjoyed order and predictability and math, that would be ok... but that is indeed NOT how I was made and for that I am thankful - oh MAN do I hate math... just ask my mom :) (NO offense meant to those of you who are left-brained - WE NEED YOU!!!!!)

- Health... it only takes a few days of being sick with your kids for good health to shoot right up towards the top of your "thankfulness list". :)

- Starbucks

- Poppy jasper

- Dark chocolate

- Super fine Sharpies

...I know there is a TON more I could list but I should probably stop there for now. :)

On an unrelated topic, some of you who are particularly savvy within the blogoshphere may begin to put this together but, without giving too much away, I wanted to tell you that I will be embarking on a SUPER exciting collaborative endeavor with one of my VERY dearest friends and I cannot wait till we have enough of it worked out that I can share it with you! Till then, mum's the word! ;)

I hope and pray that you all have blessed and WONDERFUL Thanksgiving celebrations, filled with rest and reflection, family and friends, and plenty of stuffing your faces with pie. :)

Thankfully,
Emily

4 comments:

carriex3 said...

I thought you and Jillian had something up your sleeve..........
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, a jewelry heaven???

many blessing,
Carrie

The Noisy Plume: said...

CARRIE!
SHhhhhhhhhhhh.

Em: LOVE YOU. And thankful every day that God decided to give me ONE more sister who happens to also consider dark chocolate and poppy jasper important enough to include in a list of thankfulness!
XOXOXOOXOXOX

Vita said...

Hmmmm indeed . . .
I also had a feeling it was you two ;)

Can't wait to see what you ladies have up your sleeves! :D . . . or necks, or fingers, or ....

;)

Vita said...

OH! Happy Thanksgiving!!! :D