Thursday, October 2, 2008

"Peek at my Pad" Thursday #3...

For today's post I thought I'd show off the "border" I've put up in my kitchen. It involves "plates" but not the type you'd think. I'm typically not a "wallpaper border" kinda gal but anytime I can use things for purposes other than what they were meant to be used for, I'm all about it.

The obesession...er, uh, COLLECTION, started with an Iowa license plate my dad gave me off of his lawn-mower/grass-haulin' trailer many years ago, with the letters "EMY" on it - an abbreviation of my childhood nickname, "Emmie".I hung onto it for several years and displayed it proudly, but it wasn't till after my hubby gave me the Nebraska plate off (I think) his Camaro IROC-Z (black with red racing stripes...mmm...) that I really felt the itch to hoard...er...ACQUIRE more of them :)

The plates are in all different conditions, from brand new, to quite mangled, but the thing I love the most about them are the combinations of colors - from the letters, to the licensing stickers, to the plates themselves. At one point I looked into buying a 50 state set off ebay but, after I realized that I was probably gonna have to shell out a FEW hundred dollars, I quickly convinced myself that I would just have to meet someone from every state and get a plate from each of them. :)

Right now I have 17 plates, but they are all from either Iowa (where we live now), Nebraska (the state next door where my husband is from and where his parents still live), Delaware (where we lived for 2 years right after we got married), and Pennsylvania (close to Delaware where friends of ours live). So I suppose it's "4 down, 46 to go"...

Happily,
Emily

3 comments:

Becky said...

How FUN!! What a great idea :D

When I was single I bought some 4o's-50's pin up girls postcards, glued them onto rectangles of black or red construction paper, and used those as a border for my room. I shoulda saved them because I put a lot of effort into them lol!

carriex3 said...

Love it................
How fun......... I just posted about my kitchen also:)
You are most artistic!!!!!!
Carrie

The Noisy Plume: said...

Oh brother. I missed it again. I can't do it. I CAN'T GET IT TOGETHER.

Love the kitchen.
To bits.