Thursday, September 18, 2008

"Peek at my Pad" Thursday - #1

So I was thinking the other day that I'd like to pick one day a week where I have one certain "topic" that I blog about regularly. I was mentioning this to a friend of mine and, our conversation, paired with my innate snoopiness when it comes to other people's daily lives (I'm always curious about what is on people's bedside tables, where they keep their shoes, where do they sit to read their books, etc.) resulted in "Peek at my Pad" Thursdays!
Every Thursday, I'll post a pic of a spot in my home, accompanied with a bit of a description. I'm still waiting to hear from someone to see if they'd like to participate, and after I get the yay or nay, I'll post links to the few of us participating so far. If you'd like to get in on the fun, just send me a comment with your blog address. I'd love to peek at your pad! Like I said, I'm nosey.

Well, here 'goes!...This is the top of the dresser in my bedroom. 8 years ago when Gabe and I got married, he gave me a lovely jewelry box which I tried to use, but quickly realized that

#1. I found I wasn't wearing jewelry very often, due, I can only assume to the "out of sight, out of mind" principle

and...

#2. It wasn't big enough to fit all my jewelry.

I decided I had to figure out some way to "store" my stuff where it is both accessible and out of reach of tiny little ladies, who would give anything to wear (and consequently LOSE) as many rings as their little fingers can hold). I had thought about purchasing some sort of tray but, then I realized that for the first time, I could actually put my obsession for pretty plates to good use.

(Sidenote: As the weeks progress, I fear I will be opening windows to several more obsessions of mine. Ah well, what's life without a few irrational and ridiculous obsessions??? - you know you've got them). :)

ANYWAY, back to MY issues - so anytime I'm out shopping, I can hardly resist taking a peek at the plates. Pier1, flea markets, no matter. Not so much because I need them, or even use them for their intended purposes, but because I just have a thing for them. It wasn't till I took this picture that I realized just how frequently they pop up around my home. You'll see in the coming weeks I'm sure.
As for the jewelry living on the plates, some of it is my own personal stash, others are pieces listed in my shop waiting for new homes, others still are waiting to be listed, but, with the exception of the leather cuffs in the back (which were purchased from Ms. Iris of www.radcow.etsy.com) they're all pieces I've made.

Happy Thursday and I look foreward to "peeking at your pad" soon!

Happily,
Emily

4 comments:

carriex3 said...

Emily-
Love the idea, I do a similar thing, but the "plates", are random bowls.
Very cool..........
Carrie

The Noisy Plume: said...

PLATES!

That settles it. We were separated at birth:)

The Noisy Plume: said...

By the way...I'm getting back to you about Thursdays RIGHT THIS INSTANT!
XO

Becky said...

Oooo I LOVE it! I used to do something similar for my bits and bobs before I moved. I had a couple of really cool/funky plates I found at various second-hand shops - still kinda sad at having to leave them over 10 years later lol! Ah well, at least I managed to pack my incense burner that I haven't used since....wow, I just rambled!
Oh and I looooove green too - my fav colour :)